USCIS Delays In Your Green Card Application (I-485)

Each year, tens of thousands of immigrants send green card applications to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).  Often, USCIS delays their green card applications. While green card delays are frustrating, you can speed up the process by knowing the common causes of delays and how to fix them.

In this article, we’ll go over some common reasons why the case is stuck and ways to resolve these issues.


Which Agency Handles Green Card Applications?

First it’s important to know who you’re dealing with.

When you apply for a green card in the U.S., the application is sent to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), which handles all green card applications.  So, when your green card is delayed, USCIS is the agency responsible.

What Form Is Used for Adjustment of Status (AOS)?

When you ask for a green card without leaving the U.S., you’re asking for “Adjustment of Status.”

To adjust status, you need to file several forms.  The most important is the I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.  If USCIS approves the I-485, USCIS will give you a green card.

You may learn that your case is delayed upon checking the status of your I-485.




Reason One: Evidence Is Missing

One reason for green card delays is missing evidence.   USCIS reviews your applications in two places:  1)  USCIS service centers; and 2) USCIS local field offices.  Typically, a service center accepts the green card application (Form I-485), and then sends it to the local field office for a decision.

If your green card case is at the USCIS service center (and not the local field office), then the problem is usually more basic.  Some examples:

  • you didn’t sign your application form;
  • you didn’t submit all the necessary forms;
  • you didn’t submit proof

Here are some examples of where missing information can cause delays in your green card application:

  • You did not attach an I-864, Affidavit of Support
  • Your green card sponsor did not meet the income requirements
  • You did not submit a birth certificate
  • You did not sign the I-485
  • You did not submit a Form I-944, Declaration of Self-Sufficiency

If the above list seems confusing, don’t worry.  The bottom line is that missing forms, signatures, and information can cause green card delays.

The delay will continue until you resolve the errors or provide missing documents.  Once you fix the problem, then USCIS moves the case to a local field office.

How will you know if you are missing something? Usually, the USCIS service center will send you either a Request for Evidence (RFE) or sometimes a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID).  Read these carefully and pay attention to any deadlines.  Don’t wait until the last minute.  If you respond right away, you are likely to get a quick response.

If your case has was sent to a USCIS local field office, then your case will be assigned to an officer.  That officer may interview you to review your case more closely.  He or she may then decide you are missing other documents like criminal records, tax returns, or proof of your relationship to a family member.

That local officer can also an RFE, just like the service center.  As mentioned, carefully read the RFE and respond promptly.

Reason Two: USCIS Errors

Unfortunately, USCIS sometimes loses track of a file, or it gets stuck on an officer’s desk.  Like all people, USCIS officers often procrastinate, especially on difficult tasks.  So if your case involves tricky immigration or criminal history, you may experience delays in getting a green card.

If this happens, the best move is to contact USCIS.

Reason Three: USCIS Background Checks or Investigations

Sometimes an applicant is red-flagged for security reasons,  and USCIS conducts lengthy background checks.  These checks can last months, and in terrorism-related cases, even years.

This can also happen when a USCIS officer thinks you engaged in marriage fraud.   A case can also be referred to Homeland Security Investigations (HSI)

If you find yourself in this precarious situation, the best course of action is to consult an experienced immigration attorney.  A good starting point would be to find an attorney who is  member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).


Reason Four: The Applicant Has a History With Another Agency

Like many green card applicants, you may have had prior dealings with an immigration judge or court, or have had encounters with Customs and Border Protection (CBP).  In situations like these, USCIS will delay their green card cases until it can investigate further.  That investigation can take time, because much of the information on your immigration history is not stored digitally.

For example, if a person was before an immigration judge, his or her file could be stored with another agency, called Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).   So when USCIS gets a green card application, it has to request the file from ICE.  Thus, having a history with immigration officials can delay your green card processing.

The best solution here is to obtain a copy of your file and have an immigration attorney review it before you file.

Reason Five: You Moved to a Different Address

When you move to a different address, you have to your address with immigration officials.

If USCIS learns that you moved to a different city or state, it may move your green card case to a different field office.  Because many files are not stored digitally, it takes time to physically mail your applications and other information to a new local field office.  In this situation, you should expect delays in your green card case.

If you have a I-485 pending and move, you can charge with address with a Form AR-11.  This can be filed online.

Related Topics

Need more helpful information? We've got you covered.

B2 Visitor Visa: A Complete Guide

This article is a complete guide for filing B2 Visitor Visa. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), for tourism (visa category B-2), or a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2).

R1 Visa: A Complete Guide [2023]

The R1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa category that allows religious workers to enter the United States temporarily to engage in religious work.

Navigating the Requirements of VAWA for Immigration Relief: A Comprehensive Guide

VAWA, which stands for Violence Against Women Act, is a U.S. law that was first passed in 1994 to provide protections and resources for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking, including immigrant victims.

U Visa: Requirements & Processing Times

A U visa is a type of non-immigrant visa available to individuals who are victims of certain crimes and who cooperate with law enforcement in the investigation and prosecution of those crimes.

O-1 Visa: Visas for Extraordinary Ability

An O-1 visa is a type of nonimmigrant visa issued by the United States to individuals with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who have a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.

USCIS Online Account: A Guide to ELIS

The USCIS Online Account Number, also known as the USCIS Account Number, is a unique identification number assigned to individuals who create an online account with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Alien Number: Find Your A-Number [2023]

Immigration agencies assign many non-citizens an identification number. The agencies use this number for all filings and to keep track of non-citizens. For this reason, it's important for your to know if immigration has given you one. In this article, we'll explain the number know as the "alien number," how to find it and what you use it for,

I-90 Form: How to Renew Your Green Card by Mail [2023]

The form I-90 is an application that is used by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) when a green card holder needs to replace or renew his or her card. This page provides explanations of when to use the form, how to file it, where to file and the filing fees.

EB2 Green Card Overview: A Complete Guide [2023]

EB2 stands for "Employment-Based Second Preference Category." Learn everything you need to get an EB2 Green Card or EB2 Visa. In this article, we'll tell you everything you need to know for a basic understanding of the process.

How to Move Your Immigration Court

Moving your case to a different immigration court can be helpful. Learn how to transfer your case to a different city or state.

Master Hearing in Immigration Court

The master hearing is the first hearing before an immigration court. Learn more about what to expect from the immigration judge and how to prepare.

How to Cancel A Deportation Order

Do you have a removal order? Learn what how it will affect you and what you can do to cancel a deportation order.

Can A Deported Person Come Back Legally?

If you're deported from the United States, you can still fix your papers. Learn about the penalties for deportations, and how you can still get your papers.

Individual Hearing in Immigration Court

Individual hearings in immigration court are your last chance to fight a deportation. Learn what happens at a final hearing and how to prepare.

EB3 Visa: A Lawyer’s Guide

EB3 Visas are skilled workers, professionals, and unskilled workers. Learn if you qualify for an EB3 green card and how to apply.

EB1 Visa: A Lawyer’s Overview

EB1 green cards are for leaders in their fields. These visas are part of a larger class of green cards know as employment based visas. Learn about getting a green card through the EB1 visa category.

Work Permit: A Guide for Immigrants

Learn everything you need to know about getting a work permit in the U.S. Here, we discuss the process, qualifications and cost of a work permit in the U.S.

F1 Visa Work Options: A Complete Guide [2023]

International students on F1 visas often ask if they can work legally. F-1 students can learn more here about whether they can work and where.

Bring a Sibling to the USA: Sibling Green Cards

Learn how to bring your brother or sister to the USA. In this article, we discuss the process and the different relatives you can sponsor to come to the country.

Automatic Citizenship in the U.S.

Learn who can automatically become a United States citizen and how to apply. Here, we discuss how to directly qualify to become a U.S. citizen without having to wait.

The Conditional Green Card: 7 Things To Know

Immigration has issued you a two year temporary conditional green card. Find out the 7 most important things to know about conditional green cards. In the article, we'll discuss processing and complicated situations that may come up.

Green Card Interview: A Complete Guide [2023]

Being interviewed by an immigration officer can be stressful. Here you'll learn everything you need to be ready and pass your green card interview. After reading this article, you'll be more prepared for immigration's questions for you.

F1 to H1B: An Immigration Lawyer’s Thoughts

Learn here how F1 students can get their H1B visas, the difference between change of status and H1B consular processing, and how to handle F1 to H1B denials.

F1 To Green Card: A Complete Guide [2023]

International students often want a way to go from F1 to green card. Learn everything you need to know about how international students can become permanent residents.

DACA News: Helping Dreamers Stay Current

Get up to date information on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) for Dreamers. In this article, you'll find a description of the latest news and other explanations of the current state of the DACA program.

Public Charge Rule: Immigration’s New Rules

The Trump Administration has made it harder for immigrants to prove they financially qualify for a green card. Find out more about how to show you are not a public charge.

N400 Status: Checking Your Citizenship Process [2023]

If you filed an N400, you will need to stay on top of the status of your citizenship application. Find out how to check your N400 case status and more about the naturalization process. In this article, we'll review how to know when USCIS delays processing and what to do about it.

Asylum Case Status: A Complete Guide [2023]

If you are afraid to return to your home country, you may have filed a Form I-589, Application for Asylum. Learn how to check your asylum application status and what to expect throughout the process.

I-765 Case: What’s My Work Permit Status? [2023]

Confirming your I-765 case status is important. A lot depends on getting your work permit -- your job, your driver's license, and your social security card. Learn how to check the status of your work permit application.

Speeding Up Your Immigration Case With USCIS

If you have applied for an immigration benefit, you don't want to wait on USCIS any longer than necessary. Find out here how to speed up your case with USCIS.

USCIS Delays in Your Immigration Case

If you applied for a green card, citizenship, or other immigration benefit with USCIS, you may encounter delays in processing. These can be frustrating, but here are some common causes of delays and how to fix them.

I-485 Status Check: A Complete Guide [2022]

The ultimate guide in getting your I-485 status check. Find out how to determine the status of your application and what to do if it's delayed.

I-130 Status: Checking a Pending Petition [2023]

If you filed an I-130 Petition, then you are trying to get a green card through marriage or some other family relationship to a U.S. citizen or green cardholder. Once you filed the I-130, you will probably want to follow up to check the status of your case. Here's how.