Checking Your Green Card Case Status

Checking Your Green Card Case Status

To get a green card in the U.S. you use Form I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status. Form I-485 is sometimes referred to as a green card case or application.  Below is some helpful information on checking your green card case status.

But before explaining further, you’ll probably want to know some basics.


Understanding the Green Card Process

First, a quick summary of the green card process.

When you file for a green card, you’re asking to become a lawful permanent resident.  If you apply from inside the U.S. then you’ll file with the immigration agency known as the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).  (Outside the U.S. is referred to as immigrant visa processing.  We also provide an overview of green card process outside the U.S. here)

Requesting a green card inside the U.S. is often referred to as “Adjustment of Status” or “AOS.”  To adjust status, you’ll use a Form I-485.

Checking the Status of your Green Card Application

Checking the case status online.

If you filed a Form I-485 with USCIS, you can do green card case status check online.  (If instead you filed a Form I-130, you’ll want to read more here.)

To check your green card case status online, you will need to find the Receipt Number for your I-485.  When you first filed your the form, you should have received a document known as a Receipt Notice, I-797 Notice of Action.  On your Receipt Notice, you’ll find your Receipt Number, which is at the top left corner of the I-797 and is made up of three letters followed by 10 numbers. (Ex NBC1234567890).

Possible information the online system may tell you.

A biometrics appointment has been scheduled

The system may say that you were mailed a fingerprint appointment notice, sometimes referred to as a biometrics appointment.

If so, you’ll need to make sure you got the notice in the mail, in order to find out when and where to go to give your fingerprints.  Immigration officials need your fingerprints to find out your immigration and criminal history.

A Request for Further Evidence has been sent

Another possible  result of your green card case status check is that the government sent a request for additional information.  This is called a Request for Evidence (RFE).  Usually, an RFE has a deadlines for responding.  If you don’t respond by the deadline , your green card application could be denied. So if your green card case status check says an RFE was sent, make sure you received it.

A notice that the case has been transferred

Occasionally, your green card case status may say the application was transferred to a different USCIS service center.  Sometimes this happens when one service center is backlogged, and to speed things up they send your case somewhere else.  In this situation, all you can do is wait until the service center makes a decision on your case or sends it to a local field office.

What Affects Green Card Processing Times?

The length of time for green card processing depends on several things.  To demonstrate, let’s look at some examples related to a family-based immigration case with USCIS.

Is your application based on a child-parent relationship?  Usually, green card applications based on child-parent relationships are faster.  They move quicker because they often do not require an interview since the birth certificate establishes the child-parent relationship.

Is it based on a marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident?   A marriage-based green card application is typically slower because there is almost  always an interview to see if the marriage is real.

One other thing to keep in mind during a green card case status check.  The processing time depends on where you are applying. Meaning, processing times for green card applications differ quite a bit by your city and state especially if USCIS wants to interview you.  For example, the processing times in Los Angeles, California will be far longer than in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

So if your green card case status check shows a delay, you should ask what is the basis of your application.  Often that will explain a perceived delay.

What If the Status Check Shows a Delay?

Before you spend time (and money) taking steps to speed up a decision on your green card application, you should start by checking processing times.  If your case is within normal process times, there is not much you can do.

If you check your green card case status and it’s processing slower than normal, then you should consider taking the steps below:

  • First, you’ll want to make a request online, called a USCIS case inquiry.  This sometimes helps cases by drawing attention to problems or delays on the part of the government. After you send the inquiry,  USCIS will then send you an email or letter telling you that your case status request was received and by when you’ll get a response.  Beware,  USCIS often does not respond or update the case status by the date stated in the response.
  • If the online request does not help — it usually does not — you will want to escalate the situation by calling the USCIS phone hotline at 1-800-375-5283  When you call, have your Receipt Number ready and be able to explain that the green card case status shows the case is taking longer than it is supposed to.
  • Last, if you know that your green card application has already been sent to a USCIS local field office, then  write a letter to that office asking for an a green card status update.  When you send the letter make sure to include all identifying information such as form type (I-485) and Receipt Number so USCIS will be able to locate your file.

For further information can also check out our article on fixing USCIS delays and our article on fixing delays in your green card case.


Related Topics

Need more helpful information? We've got you covered.

Automatic Citizenship in the U.S.

Learn who can automatically become a United States citizen and how to apply.

The Conditional Green Card: The 7 Things You Should Know

Immigration has issued you a two year temporary conditional green card. Find out the 7 most important things to know about conditional green cards.

EB2 Overview: An Immigration Lawyer’s Guide

EB2 stands for "Employment-Based Second Preference Category." Learn everything you need to get an EB2 Green Card or EB2 Visa.

Green Card Interview: A Lawyer’s Guide

Being interviewed by an immigration officer can be stressful. Here you'll learn everything you need about preparing for and passing your green card interview.

F1 Visa Work Options: An Immigration Lawyer’s Thoughts

International students on F1 visas often ask if they can work legally. F-1 students can learn more here about whether they can work and where.

F1 to H1B: An Immigration Lawyer’s Thoughts

Learn here how F1 students can get their H1B visas, the difference between change of status and H1B consular processing, and how to handle F1 to H1B denials.

F1 To Green Card: An Immigration Lawyer’s Thoughts

International students often want a way to go from F1 to green card. Learn everything you need to know about how international students can become permanent residents.

I-90 Form: How to Renew Your Green Card by Mail

The form I-90 is an application that is used by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) when a green card holder needs to replace or renew his or her card. This page provides explanations of when to use the form, how to file it, where to file and the filing fees.

DACA News: Helping Dreamers Stay Current

Get up to date information on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) for Dreamers. In this article, you'll find a description of the latest news and other explanations of the current state of the DACA program.

Public Charge Rule: Immigration’s New Rules

The Trump Administration has made it harder for immigrants to prove they financially qualify for a green card. Find out more about how to show you are not a public charge.

Check Your N-400 Case Status

If you filed a N-400, you will need to stay on top of the status of your citizenship application. Find out how to check your N-400 case status and more about the naturalization process.

Check Your Asylum Application Case Status

If you are afraid to return to your native country, you may have filed a Form I-589, Application for Asylum. Learn how to check your asylum application status and what to expect throughout the process.

Check the Status of Your I-765 Work Permit Application

A lot depends on getting your work permit -- your job, your driver's license, and your social security card. Learn how to check the status of your work permit application.

Speeding Up Your Immigration Case With USCIS

If you have applied for an immigration benefit, you don't want to wait on USCIS any longer than necessary. Find out here how to speed up your case with USCIS.

USCIS Delays in Your Immigration Case

If you applied for a green card, citizenship, or other immigration benefit with USCIS, you may encounter delays in processing. These can be frustrating, but here are some common causes of delays and how to fix them.

USCIS Delays In Your Green Card Application (I-485)

Immigrants send tens of thousands of green card applications every year to USCIS. Often, you and others confront delays in USCIS making a decision on their green card application. While this can be frustrating, you can speed up the process by knowing the common causes of delays and how to fix them.

Checking Your I-130 Case Status

If you filed an I-130 Petition, then you are trying to get a green card through marriage or some other family relationship to a U.S. citizen or green card holder. Once your I-130 is filed, you will probably want to follow up to check the status of your case. Here's how.