I-90 Form: How to Renew Your Green Card by Mail

When form I-90 it should be used

An form I-90 is an application used by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) when a noncitizen needs to renew or replace a green card (also know as a “lawful permanent resident card”).  

There are four times when you need to file to renew or replace your card.  

First, if your 10-year green card will expire in the next 6 months (180 days) then you will use this form.  Keep in mind, however, the form I-90 should not be confused with a form I-751. A form I-751 is filed when a person receives a two-year green card through a marriage-based process.  The form I-90 should not be used if the card was only valid for two years. 

Second, if your card was damaged, destroyed, lost or stolen then you will file the form I-90 to replace the green card.  In these cases, you file for your card to be replaced.    

Third, if your card contains an error such as a misspelling of your name or an incorrect date of birth.  In these cases, you should use the form I-90 to file for a replacement card in order to have the correct information appear on the card. 

Four, if your card was issued by USCIS, but you never received it by mail.  In this case, you should use this form to request another green card be delivered. 

Where you can get a form I-90

The form I-90 is available on the USCIS website here.

How to download a form I-90

You can visit the USCIS website here and scroll down to the tab labeled “Filing Options.”  To the right of there is a “+” sign.  Click on it and the tab will expand.  There you will see a link labeled “Form I-90 (PDF).”  Click on that link and the form can be downloaded.

How to fill out the form I-90

First, as a general rule, do not leave any space blank.  If a question doesn’t apply to you, then you should type or print “N/A.”  This stands for “not applicable.”  If you’re using a pen to complete the form make sure to use black ink.   

Most of the form is straightforward.  There is some information, however, that may be confusing.  To assist you, here with those more confusing questions, here is some definitions are things that may not be so obvious to you:

  • Alien Registration Number or A-number.  This is the number given to you by immigration and is a nine digit number preceded by the letter A.  Here is a helpful picture to show you where to find it on your green card:

Form I-90: Where to find your Alien Number

  • USCIS Online Account Number.   This number applies only if you have an online profile with USCIS.  If you don’t then simply write “N/A.”  You can create an account here if you wish to do so.
  • Legal Name Change:  If you changed your name since you first received your green card then this would apply to you.  For example, if you got married then you would inform USCIS of the change and send proof such as a social security card or marriage certificate.
  • Class of Admission:  This question asks about how you obtained your green card and will require you to place a classification code. Here is a helpful picture to show you where to find it on your green card:

Form I-90: Where to find your Class of Admission

  • Date of Admission:  This question asks about the date you obtained your green card.  You will simply answer this question with the date that you become a green card holder.  Here is a helpful picture to show you where to find it on your green card:

Form I-90: Where to find the date of admission

What to send with the form I-90

The answer depends on why you are filing your application.  If you’re filing to renew an expiring card, then you should submit a copy of the front and back of the card. 

If you’re filing because your card is lost, damaged or stolen then you can submit a copy of your green card (if available) or a valid government ID showing your name, date of birth and photo. 

If you’re filing because of a name change or other change, you should submit a copy of your green card and proof of the name change or other change.  For example, if you are recently divorced and your last name changed then you should submit the divorce decree along with a copy of your card. 

If you are filing because your card was never delivered, then you should send a copy of the I-797 Notice of Action showing that you were approved for your green card and a valid government issued ID.

Where to mail the form I-90

If you are sending your application through regular mail, then you should mail it to:  

P.O. Box 21262
Phoenix, AZ 85036

If you are sending your application through FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries, then you should send it to:

Attention: I-90
1820 E. Skyharbor, Circle S, Floor 1
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034

How much does a form I-90 cost

The filing fee for the application is $455 plus $85 for fingerprinting (also known as biometrics).  There are certain exceptions to both fees.  

For example, if there is an error on your application that was the fault of USCIS then you do not have to pay the filing fee.  Or, if you’re between the ages of 14 through 79, then you do not need to pay the biometric fee of $85.  

You can pay this fee by check or money order as long as the check or money order is from a bank located inside the united states   The check or money order should be made out to the “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.”  Do not abbreviate the agency’s name or your fee check could be rejected. 

How long it typically take to process a form I-90

Typically, it can take 6-8 months.  However, factors such as how busy the government is or things specific to your case could cause a delay.  You can find out more about delays in cases here.

Related Topics

Need more helpful information? We've got you covered.

Can A Deported Person Come Back Legally?

If you're deported from the United States, you can still fix your papers. Learn about the penalties for deportations, and how you can still get your papers.

EB3 Visa: A Lawyer’s Guide

EB3 Visas are skilled workers, professionals, and unskilled workers. Learn if you qualify for an EB3 green card and how to apply.

EB1 Visa: A Lawyer’s Overview

EB1 green cards are for leaders in their fields. These visas are part of a larger class of green cards know as employment based visas. Learn about getting a green card through the EB1 visa category.

Work Permit: A Guide for Immigrants

Learn everything you need to know about getting a work permit in the U.S. Here, we discuss the process, qualifications and cost of a work permit in the U.S.

Bring a Sibling to the USA: Sibling Green Cards

Learn how to bring your brother or sister to the USA. In this article, we discuss the process and the different relatives you can sponsor to come to the country.

Automatic Citizenship in the U.S.

Learn who can automatically become a United States citizen and how to apply. Here, we discuss how to directly qualify to become a U.S. citizen without having to wait.

The Conditional Green Card: 7 Things To Know

Immigration has issued you a two year temporary conditional green card. Find out the 7 most important things to know about conditional green cards. In the article, we'll discuss processing and complicated situations that may come up.

EB2 Green Card Overview: A Lawyer’s Guide

EB2 stands for "Employment-Based Second Preference Category." Learn everything you need to get an EB2 Green Card or EB2 Visa. In this article, we'll tell you everything you need to know for a basic understanding of the process.

Green Card Interview: A Complete Guide

Being interviewed by an immigration officer can be stressful. Here you'll learn everything you need to be ready and pass your green card interview. After reading this article, you'll be more prepared for immigration's questions for you.

F1 Visa Work Options: An Immigration Lawyer’s Thoughts

International students on F1 visas often ask if they can work legally. F-1 students can learn more here about whether they can work and where.

F1 to H1B: An Immigration Lawyer’s Thoughts

Learn here how F1 students can get their H1B visas, the difference between change of status and H1B consular processing, and how to handle F1 to H1B denials.

F1 To Green Card: An Immigration Lawyer’s Thoughts

International students often want a way to go from F1 to green card. Learn everything you need to know about how international students can become permanent residents.

DACA News: Helping Dreamers Stay Current

Get up to date information on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) for Dreamers. In this article, you'll find a description of the latest news and other explanations of the current state of the DACA program.

Public Charge Rule: Immigration’s New Rules

The Trump Administration has made it harder for immigrants to prove they financially qualify for a green card. Find out more about how to show you are not a public charge.

N400 Case Status: Your Naturalization Process

If you filed a N400, you will need to stay on top of the status of your citizenship application. Find out how to check your N400 case status and more about the naturalization process. In this article, we'll review how to know when your process is delayed and what to do about it.

Asylum Application Case Status – How to Check It

If you are afraid to return to your native country, you may have filed a Form I-589, Application for Asylum. Learn how to check your asylum application status and what to expect throughout the process.

I-765 Case Status: Where’s My Work Permit?

Confirming your I-765 case status is important. A lot depends on getting your work permit -- your job, your driver's license, and your social security card. Learn how to check the status of your work permit application.

Speeding Up Your Immigration Case With USCIS

If you have applied for an immigration benefit, you don't want to wait on USCIS any longer than necessary. Find out here how to speed up your case with USCIS.

USCIS Delays in Your Immigration Case

If you applied for a green card, citizenship, or other immigration benefit with USCIS, you may encounter delays in processing. These can be frustrating, but here are some common causes of delays and how to fix them.

USCIS Delays In Your Green Card Application (I-485)

Immigrants send tens of thousands of green card applications every year to USCIS. Often, you and others confront delays in USCIS making a decision on their green card application. While this can be frustrating, you can speed up the process by knowing the common causes of delays and how to fix them.

Checking Your Green Card Case Status

The ultimate guide in getting your green card case status. Find out how to determine the status of your application and what to do if it's delayed.

I-130 Case Status: How to Check It

If you filed an I-130 Petition, then you are trying to get a green card through marriage or some other family relationship to a U.S. citizen or green card holder. Once your I-130 is filed, you will probably want to follow up to check the status of your case. Here's how.